QUINTA DO ESPINHO
Claimed as one of the world’s greatest wine landscapes, wine growing Upper Douro was classified as World Heritage by UNESCO, in 2001. Its logistical and strategical situation is outstanding relating accessibility and, especially, the enormous winegrowing, landscaping and environmental potential of its productions
A nutritious soil formed by plated schist pieces that retain the necessary humidity allowing vines to endure the summer dry conditions joins the terraced vineyards at an altitude of 195 meters. In 1986 the project to plant new vines and recover the old vineyard started. In 2010, it was time to requalify the winery and warehouse facilities. Abiding by the requirements of the Farm location, the heart of the Douro region, the 18th century buildings were restored preserving the traditional structures, such as the stone wine mills, still in use. The restoring was conducted with the most modern wine production and storing equipment in order to assure the maximum quality and versatility throughout the demanding winemaking process.
The history of the property dates back to the wine region officially laid out by order of the Marquis de Pombal, Portugal.
An estate that has been in the Macedo Pinto family for several generations. From Tabuaço on Douro Valley, the family farmed extensive vineyards in the region and molded the positive social impacts of Port in this region of Portugal.
There are multiple references to the family. For instances, Pinho Leal, the author of Portugal Antigo e Moderno (“Old and New Portugal: Geographic, Statistical and Chorographic Dictionary”) first published in 1873, points that the family owned “the best and most extensive vineyards of Portugal, few abroad being comparable, able to produce dozens and dozens of famous “casks” of Port-Wine”.
Thirty years ago, one branch of the Macedo Pinto family has taken over Quinta do Espinho, driving it to the production of top class red wine in the Douro.